Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Twits, by Roald Dahl

It had been years since I had read any of Roald Dahl's works. As a kid I loved all his books and read them every chance I could get. 

As I am currently writing a Children's Novel, I read Dahl's 'The Twits' for research purposes. My goodness, it was brutal! Dahl holds nothing back as he writes about the awful things these frightful people did to each other. The Twits are an old married couple who take 'disgusting' to a whole new level.  From serving up worms for dinner, to preparing for months an illusion that they have "the dreaded Shrinks", this unclean couple torture each other mercilessly.


I loved it!

I had forgotten how far you can go as a Children's author. The nastier, the better, as far as your target audience is concerned. Dahl is truly an artist when it comes to grossing the reader out. I learned a lot from revisiting the literary works of this talented author. 

And so, if you have children who you want to encourage to love books, or you simply want to revisit your childhood, Roald Dahl is the book for you. Funny, squirmy, and with an ending that gives you a sense of justice, you will find it difficult to put it down. I myself read it in one sitting.

2 comments:

  1. Roald Dahl = genius. My daughter and I used to fight for his books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything Roald Dahl. My Mum and I still fight over his books :) I had to buy my own because she wouldn't give up my childhood copies!

    ReplyDelete