Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Toughest Challenge Yet

Friday after work I went to the shops on the way home and purchased four new books. Saturday, at my boyfriend's house, I acquired another three books from my partner's housemate. 

Later that evening I was cruising around Twitter (What? I've been unwell, I can't be out socialising every weekend!) and came across a TBR challenge put forth by @Bellareads.

Basically, for the month of September, you ban yourself from buying/acquiring/borrowing any books until you have read all the books you have lying around the house that are yet 'To Be Read'. (Read more about the original challenge here.)

Personally, I have 33 unread books floating around my house. Today (Sunday) I acquired five more.


And so, the rules I am setting myself for the month of September are as follows:

  1. No purchasing of new books
  2. Only acquiring books if it is for genuine research for the latest story I am writing
  3. No thinking, dreaming or salivating over new books
  4. The toughest one of all: No entering bookshops, as I simply cannot help myself
Libraries are okay, so long as I don't take any books home with me (simple, I'll take my library card out of my purse), and, as I already mentioned, I am allowed to borrow books from friends for research purposes. As I am writing a Children's Novel there is little chance that I will do this for my own enjoyment. I pretty much have all I need anyway.

This is going to be an extremely tough challenge for me, but at least I will save a lot of money. I will also get to read all those books I had forgotten I owned.

If you feel you too have a book-buying-problem, feel free to join in the challenge, via "A Girl Reads a  Book".

No comments:

Post a Comment