I'm sure by now you all know about my latest challenge: No acquiring/buying/stealing/borrowing of books throughout the entire month of September. I started early (as soon as I decided to do it) so that I wouldn't have a last minute binge-buy session. Thank goodness I did!
You see, earlier on in the week I was telling some colleagues about my addiction (Step one to over coming addiction: Admit you have a problem.). Their response has been to ask me: "Oh, you like books? Do you read Fantasy? You should try Eddington, his works are amazing! Make sure you look him up."
Have these people no pity??? To make matters worse, this week has also been National Book Week in Australia, where books are waved under my nose all day and all night. Books have literally been thrown at me all week.
*sigh*...It's been tough. But how have I gone? Did I fall off the wagon at all?
Surprisingly, miraculously, NO! I have NOT acquired any books in my first week of self-prohibition.
I entered the library at work to order some resources for my students, and admired their Book Week display (I love the library at work, such an amazing group of people). But, I did not fall into the trap of allowing the librarians to press a book into my hand to take home with me.
I have avoided shopping centres as they hold far too much temptation for me at the moment, and I have not allowed anyone to suggest that they lend me this or that book. I HAVE agreed to go to an old-style library with a colleague over the holidays, but I am going for history's sake and will not take home any books.
So far, so good, but my goodness it's tough!
No comments:
Post a Comment