Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ashleigh's American Literature Attempt

I have always considered myself to be an eclectic reader. I never restrict myself to reading any one genre or any one author. And yet I have recently been made aware of a certain narrow-mindedness to my reading approach.

You see, I tend to avoid American classics. I don't know why; There is no justifiable reason for it. Sure, I read Harper Lee's, "To Kill a Mockingbird", and I absolutely loved it. But I have never gone further than that in my exploration of American Literature.



And so it is time I set myself a reading challenge. Throughout the months of October and November (December, too, if I run out of time) I will make a concerted effort to read some American classics. I have selected six novels that I should read as a part of my American Literature education, chosen because I have either heard good things about them, or they were listed in an online lecture series that I have downloaded. Given my limited knowledge of American History (no doubt due to my lack of reading American Literature!) I feel that the online lecture, provided by Yale University, will help me to gain a true appreciation for what I am reading.


My six candidates are as follows:
  • "Catch 22", by Joseph Heller
  • "Ulysses", by James Joyce (although I'm not sure if this counts as an American novel?)
  • "Lolita", by Vladimir Nabokov
  • "The Great Gatsby", by F.Scott Fitzgerald
  • "Everything is Illuminated", by Jonathan Safran Foer
  • "On the Road", by Jack Kerouac
Follow me as I try my best to understand and appreciate these great works of literature. I will relate my thoughts, feelings, confusions and a review of each of these books as I complete them. 

I have to say, I am excited to be trying something different! Wish me luck, and happy reading :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same in that I avoid the classics. The only one I've read from your list is Catch 22 and it's so long ago that I couldn't tell you what I thought of it. I think I enjoyed it ... but really, it's too long ago.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete