Friday, July 2, 2010

Tangled Webs, by Anne Bishop

I cannot believe it! I actually put an Anne Bishop book down out of boredom!

I am a huge Anne Bishop fan and love all her works, but 'Tangled Webs' just doesn't seem to do it for me. The first time I read it, it was okay. The second time....

So what IS wrong with this novel? Essentially Anne Bishop, in my opinion, has taken a lot of strong characters and diluted them to fit into a naff storyline. 



The story begins where we left off in the novel before, discussing the changes in society since Jaenelle, the strongest Witch ever to walk the world, managed to clean the taint out of the Blood (the name for those who have magic singing in their veins). This starts off really well, and captures my attention; and then...

Jaenelle, completely out of character, decides to make a spooky house to share with the non-magic humans. She enlists the help of her sister-in-law but will not let anyone else see what they are up to.

A jealous non-Blood human decides to make his own spooky house to capture the most powerful Blood family, and traps two of them inside it, along with a handful of non-magic humans. They are attacked, naturally, and cannot use their magical powers within the house.

Blah, blah, blah. I really HAD to walk away at this point.

So, if you are an Anne Bishop fan, 'Tangled Webs' is worth a glance, but try to borrow it from a friend rather than buy it. Anne Bishop has certainly produced better literary works than this.








No comments:

Post a Comment